Should Seniors Be Assisted When Using the Toilet?
Some seniors may need help getting on and off the toilet. This should not be something to be ashamed of. Even if the senior is independent, he or she may still need a little help every time they use the bathroom. Good thing toileting assistance is one of the many services we provide as a home care agency.
If seniors are living with family caregivers, the latter must also know that their own safety should also be considered. Because they don’t get formal training in safe lifting and transfer techniques, it’s easy to get hurt when helping older family members. As we also offer personal care assistance in Pennsylvania, we would like to recommend the following safety tips for seniors and family caregivers when toileting:
- Encourage the senior to move on their own as much as possible to avoid the chance of injury.
- Assist the senior by providing balance support.
- Never lift the senior outright or ask them to pull on you.
- Hold on to their hips and trunk to give them stability. Avoid pulling their arms or legs.
- Always bend your knees when supporting them.
On top of all these tips, be sure to communicate well with your senior loved one. Use short sentences to explain the next step and give them ample time to do what you ask. If they have mobility assistive devices like walkers, make sure that they use them properly as well. To get professional help, our home care provider in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, is always available.